“Clean and simple” may be in the eye of the beholder – but there are some basic design principles that can help every crafter think through design decisions. Imagine no longer needing to “copy” someone else, but to assess your own supplies and assemble a fresh, modern card!
The goals of this class
This class will be focused on teaching design. Not on designing one particular handmade greeting card, but on how a principle of design plays into a variety of decisions the artist can make when creating it!
The format, in many lessons, shows a card made by the instructor a decade ago when both her style and knowledge were quite different. She’ll assess what worked and didn’t in the card, create a sketch from it and redo it to simplify it, then simplify even THAT design further. Each example will focus on a single principle of design, talking through elements of it, and turning students loose with their own supplies to create something related.
The cards created use the Migrating Birds Printables, however – the expectation is that students will use their own supplies. Sketches are provided at full size.
This course features:
- Level 2 and up (not for absolute beginners, as there are not technique tutorials included)
- 2-1/2 hours of video instruction
- See the Preclass lesson for information on supplies recommended
- Language: English
- Closed Captioning
A short preview video to see more about class:
The lessons can be viewed anytime and at your leisure; there are hours of instruction that you can watch again and again for years to come but are not downloadable for offline viewing.
- Free Preclass with general craft supplies (1 video, 5 min)
- Lesson 1: What is clean and simple anway? (1 video, 20 min)
- Lesson 2: Focal Point (2 videos, 12 min)
- Lesson 3: Contrast (2 videos, 11 min)
- Lesson 4: Pairing Patterns (2 videos, 19 min)
- Lesson 5: Edit Ruthlessly (2 videos, 19 min)
- Lesson 6: Relationship of Elements (2 videos, 13 min)
- Lesson 7: Rule of Thirds (2 videos, 14 min)
- Lesson 8: Scene-Bursting (2 videos, 12 min)
- Lesson 9: Movement and Flow (2 videos, 15 min)
- Lesson 10: Repetition: (2 videos, 11 min)